Sunday, January 29, 2012

Sold: Opinion Questions

     The most disturbing part of the novel Sold for me was the chapter called Lucky to be with Habib. I could picture a man with disgusting features.  I could see Lakshmi laying on the bed eyes half open unable to move or fight this man off.  I could hear his voice in my head as I read, "Habib is good with the ladies".  I could hear the bed begin to hit the wall and the sobs coming from Lakshmi as he raped her.  I was and still am disgusted by this chapter.
     Nicholas Kristof bought the freedom of two girls in Cambodia.  He is right that buying sex slaves is not a long-term solution.  There really is no perfect solution to saving every woman in these brothels.  Threatening outrageous jail time to brothel owners might make them reconsider having brothels, but this will only work if the governments stick to their laws.  The best thing we can do are create groups to raise money and help to raid these brothel places and take the women out.  Set them up in schools and other jobs that women can work rather than the sex slave trade.

1 comment:

  1. I felt the same way over that chapter the whole disgusting features of the man to the fine details I just didnt want to know. Things like this is sad that its true that it is going on and were doing our best to stop it but its just not enough to stop it all.

    ReplyDelete