Monday, March 5, 2012

Prisoner

The water rushes up,
Splashing the sides of the ship.

The sky is covered in a gray mist,
The sun fades into the distance.

I stand at the edge of the bow,
The wind tugs at my hair.

The floor of the ship creaks,
The wood has many splinters.

I hear foot steps,
I turn to meet the captains shoulder.

The captain stares straight ahead,
He shouts behind to his crew.

They follow his orders,
While they eye me.

There is sweat on their backs,
And dirt between their fingers.

Everything about them,
Makes my skin crawl.

I look back out,
The captain takes my hand.

He spins me in his arms,
I am facing him.

His eyes are icy blue,
Teeth blackened from tobacco.

His smile is crooked,
His skin dotted and tanned.

His breath reeked of fish,
His voice was deep and raspy.

I wanted to scream,
I wanted him to stop.

My heart began to pound,
He moved closer to my face.

I pushed him away,
He gripped tighter.

I could feel everything,
I could hear everything.

When he was done,
He threw me to the ground.

I tried to hold back the tears,
He cackled and sauntered away.

They are all the same,
On this ship.

Used and abused,
Every night they leave me.

They have no love in their hearts,
No kindness in their eyes.

I have no escape,
I have no where to run.

1 comment: